Monday, November 19, 2007

Barbie as the Island Princess



I'm so fond of these Barbie movies. Of course it's Barbie, that's one thing. Beyond that I found the above-expectation animations and amazing pictures so wonderful. I just finished watching the newest Barbie fairytale "Barbie as the Island Princess" and it, just like it's freinds, didn't let me down.


Actually it has become one of my most favorite Barbie movies - besides from Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper. I love it when they combine such a musical sense into Barbie world. The main theme song called "I need to know" which I've been listening to who knows how many times. Sound strange but true, it has inspired me to get my own blog.


The story tells us about Barbie as a shipwrecked girl - Ro - whose fate brought her to an island in the south sea. There she made a family, not of humans but animals. Sagi - the red panda, Tika - the elephant, and Azul - the peacock, well prince of peacock as he always claimed, were her family. Of course when you have animals as your family, you can 'talk' to animals.




We can say that Ro is a female version of Tarzan, only there's no gorilla in that island! Anyhow, Ro grew up with no memories of her past. But deep down in her heart, she always wanted to know who she was.


One day, a prince named Antonio came to the island. He immediately fell in love with Ro, in fact, after she had rescued him from her fellow crocodiles. The prince took Ro - along with her family - to his kingdom and that's where Ro's journey of finding herself began.


Just like Tarzan, Ro found it hard to live in a 'civilized' land, especially, when there's people like Queen Ariana on that land! Ariana wanted to revenge King Peter, the prince's father, and poor Ro was the only one who can ruin her evil plan. I'm not going to spoil it all out in this blog, but I guess that's enough get the picture how the story goes, right?


Anyway, Barbie movies are for little girls. For sure they all have a happy ending and I don't have anything to complain about it. I love it when they do that, life has more than enough sadness. However, I found the idea of turning Ro into Princess Rosella in the end is quite unnecessary. It could be better if Ro would still be just Ro - an ordinary girl who lost all her family in a shipwreck, and the King could accept and allow her to marry the prince. Then we can say "It doesn't matter who you are, but what you do does!!!"


Well, like I said, it's a fairytale for little girl and it might be the best this way.

I'd like to end this entry with a part of lyrics from the main theme song "I need to know", which I couldn't stop listening at this moment.
"I need to know these answers,I need to find my way. Seize my tomorrow,Learn my yesterday...I need to take these chances, Let all my feelings show. Can't tell what's waiting. Still I need to go. I need to know..."


No comments: